Notes: Lydia sits out the IC (alternatively: Lydia sits out all the challenges in this episode). Apart from that, simple scoring, although an overall odd episode, as swaps go. An odd (but interesting) mechanism for swapping tribes (at an odd time) that, in its favor, managed to produce two (three?) surprise reveals, with the latter two (?) coming as the oblivious picnic attendees returned to their now-infiltrated camps. But it's also notable for what didn't happen:
- No throwing of the IC: It's weird that, handed a tailor-made 4-3 advantage on NuYaxhá, the ex-Nakúms (Bobby Jon, Danni, Brandon, Blake) never even seemed to think of simply throwing the IC. Clearly, they couldn't have dreamed up an easier challenge in which to do so. Maybe it was the earliness of the swap (Day 9! 15 people left!), and people were worried there might be more than three boots left before the merge. Maybe the just-played-out Palau season's lack of a merge so scarred everyone (especially Bobby Jon) that nobody wanted to gamble on running their just-swapped tribe into the ground and coasting on a 4-3 majority. Maybe it was, as Brian suggests on twitter, the ex-Nakúms would never even consider throwing a challenge. Their loss, we guess. Or, more accurately, their win.
- No talk of an all-female alliance on NuNakúm: Again, here was another built-in majority, this time a 5-3 advantage for women on what was otherwise the evenly split, 4-4 swapped tribe. Furthermore, Cindy/Margaret/Brooke seemed at best distantly connected to Judd (and vice-versa, obviously), and they seemed to get along quite well with Lydia. And for the past two Yaxhá votes, women had been the sole vote recipients because of some crazy notion that they were inferior in challenges (except that Rafe actually was, it's just that his failure was displaced by Brianna's... recency bias). We'd guess the impediment here was Stephenie. She seemed to have little use for her female tribemates, and seemed locked in with Jamie and Judd almost immediately (with the familiar "we have to keep the tribe strong" talk, which to be fair, is what she should be saying to them... it's just that we suspect that's what she actually thought).
- The parade of highly implausible lying: Which is less believable? Gary's "Oh yeah, I went to Central Michigan, but I didn't play" in response to Danni nailing his college football team? Or could it be Judd's "Oh yeah, you've really got my wheels turning!" as Margaret points out (correctly!) that siding with the four Yaxhás here simply moves Judd to the end of the Nakúm boot order? It's so hard to choose.
- Brooke received 5 votes, from Stephenie, Rafe, Lydia, Judd, and Jamie (voted out, 5-3).
- Lydia received 3 votes, from Cindy, Margaret, and Brooke.
|Immunity Challenge||Tribal council stats|